Personal Library of Floridian Books
Research material from the library of Peter Matthiessen. Matthiessen's connection to Florida as a writer goes back well before the Mr. Watson trilogy that he began writing in the 1980s. In 1970 the Sierra Club published a photography book on the Everglades using text from Matthiessen's earlier books. At that time he also began a project based on Seminole history and legends. Later, the Watson trilogy and eventually Shadow Country took up a large portion of nearly two decades. Roughly 20 titles. Many of these book are research materials for the Watson books; others are more general history or natural history. All books are first printings unless otherwise stated:
- BRIGGS, Betty Savidge. Cracker in the Glades. A Portrait of Robert Storter, Fisherman, and His Family. Apparently privately-published, 1980. Three copies: One copy with a small notation in family tree. The second copy is signed by Robert Storter. Heavily marked in pen, pencil and highlighter, with stars and question marks in margins. The third copy is also signed by Storter and includes a two-page autograph letter signed by Briggs to Matthiessen, recounting Matthiessen's interaction with the book's subject (apparently Briggs' grandfather). Also laid in is a Tampa Bay Life article by Briggs entitled "The Migrant Stream."
- CAULFIELD, Patricia and MATTHIESSEN, Peter. Everglades. NY: Sierra Club/Ballantine (1971). Photographs by Caulfield accompany selections from published and unpublished work by Matthiessen. Edited by Paul Brooks. With a non-authorial gift inscription (publisher?) to Matthiessen. Pages paperclipped and passages marked (some with stars or question marks) in highlighter and pen. List of page numbers on rear blank. Softcover.
- COUNCIL, Clyde C. Suwannee Country. Sarasota: J&G Printing, 1976. A canoeing, boating and recreational guide. Passages marked in pen. Top-bound; softcover.
- CUSHING, Frank Hamilton. Exploration of Ancient Key Dwellers' Remains on the Gulf Coast of Florida, a volume in the Antiquities of the New World series. NY: AMS Press, 1973. Many passages marked in pen, with a handful of annotations. Hardcover, no dust jacket.
- DOUGLAS, Marjorie Stoneman. The Everglades. River of Grass. Miami: Banyan Books (1978). Reprint edition. Passages marked (some with stars or question marks) in highlighter and pen. Hardcover, lacking dust jacket.
- DRAGO, Harry Sinclair. Outlaws on Horseback. NY: Dodd, Mead (1964). Photocopied excerpt only, Chapter 16, "Beyond Reasonable Doubt," with mention of Edward J. Watson. Passages marked in pen and pencil, with question marks in the margins.
- FOSTER, Stephen. Immortal Melodies. CBS Robbins Catalog, 1967. Reissue. First song is Florida's state song, "Old Folks at Home." Stapled wrappers.
- GRISMER, Karl H. The Story of Fort Myers. Fort Myers Beach: Island Press, 1982. A facsimile reproduction of the 1949 edition. Heavily marked in highlighter and pencil. A few notations inside the rear cover. Softcover.
- LAMME, Vernon. Florida Lore Not Found in History Books! Boynton Beach: Star Publishing, 1973. Softcover.
- LANGLEY, Joan and Wright. Old Key West in 3-D. (Key West): (Langley Press)(1986). A comb-bound booklet reproducing stereographs from the turn of the last century. Plastic viewers included.
- McIVER, Stuart. True Tales of the Everglades. Miami: Florida Flair Books (1994). Later printing. Heavily marked in two pens, with a handful of annotations. Stapled wrappers.
- McIVER, Stuart B. Death in the Everglades. Gainesville: University Press of Florida (2003). Passages marked (some starred) with pen. Hardcover with dust jacket.
- SCHELL, Rolfe. 1000 Years on Mound Key. Fort Myers Beach: Island Press (1968). Revised edition. One pencilled marginal note. Stapled wrappers.
- TEBEAU, Charlton W. Man in the Everglades. Coral Gables: University of Miami Press (1976). Later printing of the revised edition. Heavily marked in pen, pencil and highlighter, with stars and question marks in margins. Softcover.
- TEBEAU, Charlton W. The Story of the Chokoloskee Bay Country. Miami: Banyan (1977). Second printing. Passages marked in pen and pencil; numerous marginal notes. Softcover.
- WARNKE, James R. Ghost Towns of Florida. Boynton Beach: Star Publishing (1971). Third printing. Multiple instances of underlining in pencil and colored pencil. A list of numbers on rear cover. Softcover.
- WASHINGTON, Ray. Cracker Florida. Miami: Banyan (1983). Softcover.
- WILLIAMS, Joy. The Florida Keys. NY: Random House (1988). Revised edition. Softcover.
- West of Key West. (Mechanicsburg): Stackpole (1996). Anthology. Hardcover with dust jacket.
All books are first printings of first editions or first American editions unless otherwise noted.