Publisher's Archive of A Voice Crying in the Wilderness
NY, St. Martin's, (1990). A Voice Crying in the Wilderness was ostensibly the first trade edition of the posthumously published 1989 Rydal Press limited edition Vox Clamantis in Deserto, but retitled and re-edited and with slightly different content, and with illustrations by Andrew Rush, A Voice Crying in the Wilderness is a separate Abbey "A" item. The archive includes:
- the first draft contract between St. Martin's Press and Rydal Press for this edition, with emendations.
- 81 page photocopied typescript, heavily copyedited.
- a clean set of galley sheets, approximately 66 pages.
- "master" galleys, heavily copyedited.
- "master" page proofs dated January 12, 1990, heavily copyedited.
- a second pass of the page proofs, undated, correcting errors caught in the first set, but still imperfect.
- a "master" set of revised proofs, dated January 26, 1990, also copyedited.
- eight additional "master" proof sheets correcting the errors remaining in the third set of page proofs.
- heavily copyedited copy of the page featuring "Other Works By Edward Abbey."
- blue proof of the title page.
- composition specification sheet.
- the mock up of the endpapers, featuring Andrew Rush art work.
- a letter from St. Martin's to Clark Kimball of The Rydal Press, enclosing "some production materials" from the book they are "quite pleased to be printing. The materials include a mockup of the title page and two separate mockups of a single text page, each featuring a "blind men and the elephant" illustration by Rush, one of which is inscribed by Rush: "AR for CK."
- an Andrew Rush biographical flyer, and
- an autograph letter signed by Rush to Clark Kimball, in part transmitting a drawing that Kimball liked (not included here, but perhaps an original of the "blind men" drawing mentioned above). The letter is in a self-made Rush notecard, and the drawing tipped to the front cover is present but detached.
All books are first printings of first editions or first American editions unless otherwise noted.